Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Art of the Cake Stand



One of my favorite ways to entertain is by surprising
my friends with unique one of a kind cake stands.
They always take center stage and always elicit a
conversation. More often then not I use them for
something other than dessert and hardly ever cakes.
I love the these gorgeous handcrafted pieces by artist
Whitney Smith. One whimsical and playful, the other
simple and elegant. Check out her site for all sorts of
fabulous unique pieces. She has also designed a line for
magenta-inc. Now if I can just figure out how to store
them. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Ms. Spinach said...

No storage suggestions, but here's a DIY cake stand tip courtesy of my mom: We look for low, sturdy candlesticks (like in crystal, ceramic or heavy glass -- it's amazing how many pretty vintage ones they have at the thrift store.) Then, you can glue them to the bottom on pretty vintage plates to make your own cake stands.

I came away from that experience realizing my mom is a genius.

kstyle said...

Wow, what a great idea. My creative juices are flowing. I even have some orphan plates that might work. Thank your mom for me.
k